Ultimate Red Velvet Cake
- Scale ingredients accurately and have all ingredients at room temperature (70°F/21°C).
- Place the butter in the mixing bowl. With the paddle attachment, beat slowly, until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar and cream on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the red food coloring toward the end of the 3 minute mark.
- Add the eggs a little at a time making sure that each one is absorbed before adding more.
- After the eggs are beaten in, mix until light and fluffy. This step will take about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add the 1/4 of the sifted dry ingredients until blended and alternate with the 1/3 of the liquid ingredients. Continue to alternate until all ingredients are used. **
- Scrap down the sides of the bowl occasionally for even mixing.
- Fill your cake pans up to 1 inch from the rim. If making cupcakes, only fill about 2/3 of the way.
- Place in the oven and bake until its done.
- Baking Times Differ Between Pan sizes and oven. (See notes for more details)
Approx. Baking Times
Cupcakes – 20 minutes
Cake 8″x3″ 45min. – 1hr 15min.
The reason for adding dry and liquid ingredients
alternately is the batter may not absorb all the
liquid unless some of the flour is present.