In Puerto Rico, there is a little shop called “Super Cake”. They are famous for their meringue frosted cakes, filled with pineapple compote. Many family birthday traditions are celebrated with a “Super Cake” Cake. Especially in my family, that has passed down from generation to generation.
Since moving from PR, I have been experimenting with replicating their delectable frosting. And after many attempts, I have finally hit the taste spot on. This light, and airy marshmallow meringue is perfect to accompany any cake.
There is now no need for my family to wait until our next trip to PR for them to taste a “Super Cake” cake.
See a Step – By – Step Video on how to make this recipe
Marshmallow Italian Meringue – "Super Cake" Frosting Replica
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 oz egg whites ((approx 6 – 8 eggs))
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbs meringue powder
- 1 tsp flavor of your choice
- Make sure that all utensils are grease free and dry
- Add the egg whites, meringue power, and salt into the mixer bowl and place on the stand mixer that has been fitted with the whisk attachment
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to boil
- Use a candy thermometer to measure the temperature of the sugar/water syrup mixture
- When the thermometer reads 220 degree, begin to whip the egg whites. Make sure the egg whites form soft peaks before adding the syrup
- Once the sugar/water syrup reaches 245 degrees, remove from the heat and slowly pour into the egg whites in a slow steady stream.
- Continue to mix on high speed (#10 on Kitchen Aid Mixer) until the bowl is cool to the touch and the meringue forms stiff peaks.
- Add the flavor of your choice and continue to mix until smooth and glossy.