Have you ever seen those beach themed cakes that it looks that they are made with water? Ever wonder how that effect is achieved? Well, its easier then you think and doesn’t require you running to the cake supply store to buy it. Well, that is, if you ave the ingredients at home. Which many of us do. The secret to this effect is nothing more then piping gel.
In the following video, you cane see how I took this recipe and turned my cake into a work of art. Looks like real stained glass don’t you think?
Homemade Piping GelPrint
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup corn syrup *Karo brand works best
- 1 tsp flavoring (optional)
- gel foor coloring (optional)
- Combine the cold water and cornstarch in a heat proof glass measuring cup.
- Continue to whisk until there are no more lumps.
- Whisk in the corn syrup until well combined.
- Place the mixture in the microwave and heat for 2-3 minutes on high in 1 minute intervals.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before adding the flavoring or gel food colors.